What do I need to do for my vehicle with lots of kilometers?
The Auto Guys Answer:
St. Thomas drivers ask this question at The Auto Guys a lot more these days. The median age for vehicles on ON expressways is now over 11 years. Regardless of your reason for keeping your vehicle around, the good news for St. Thomas drivers is that it’s capable of going 240,000 to 320,000 kilometers or more with proper care and professional automotive service at The Auto Guys.
Here are some tips from The Auto Guys on how to make your car last:
- First, St. Thomas drivers should follow all of their regularly scheduled maintenance routines. Things like oil changes, transmission and cooling system service are vital for avoiding pricey damage. This reduces your overall cost for keeping your vehicle for a long time.
- Next, regular inspections are critical for St. Thomas drivers. Look, those parts are starting to get old and will become worn out over the kilometers. Thorough inspections of various systems will uncover things that are nearing the end of their service life, like suspension, brake and steering components. Replacing worn parts early not only prevents pricey breakdowns, but relieves stress on related pricey components so they will last longer as well.
- Another thing for St. Thomas drivers to consider is the use of special synthetic or “high mileage” fluid formulations. For example, “high mileage” engine oil has special additives that condition those old seals and gaskets. It also has extra detergents to help keep that older vehicle engine clean inside. These types of oil, transmission fluid, etc. cost a little more but can really head off some of the problems that are typical of older vehicles around ON.
- One last thing for St. Thomas drivers would be to consult with your The Auto Guys service advisor about the overall condition of your vehicle and your driving routines. It may be advisable to follow your car maker’s severe service schedule.
- Even with the occasional unexpected repair associated with an older vehicle, you can still enjoy good, reliable transportation if you take good care of your ride.
Stop by or give us a call.
The Auto Guys
135 South Edgeware Rd.
St. Thomas, ON N5P 4C4